Millions of Americans will be displaying their flags over Memorial Day weekend, and it's a wonderful way to show respect. Do you know the right way to do it?
Here are a few helpful reminders:
- On Memorial Day, the flag should be at half-staff until noon; then it should be hoisted to the very top of the staff.
- The flag should never touch the ground or the floor.
- The stars on the flag should always be up; it’s a signal of distress when a flag is hung upside-down.
- If you’re suspending the flag vertically, or against a wall, the stars should be to the flag’s own right, and to the left of the person hanging it.
- The flag should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset; if it’s hung overnight, it should be lit up.